Having braces is a great thing! You’ll soon have a brand-new smile! But taking care of your braces can be tough. Flossing, especially, can feel difficult, complicated, and time-consuming when you have braces. Floss picks for braces can help change that and make flossing easier.
The Importance of Flossing with Braces
Flossing your teeth is important, but it becomes extra important when you have braces. Braces add lots of new nooks and crannies where food particles, plaque, and bacteria can get stuck and cause problems such as cavities or gum disease for your teeth and gums.
Studies show that brushing your teeth with a toothbrush is an effective way to clean your teeth, but also that it still only reaches about 60% of the surface area of your teeth. This leaves almost 40% untouched by the bristles of your toothbrush! If you want your new smile to look it’s very best when you get your braces off, flossing is important!
The Problem with Floss
Dentists and orthodontists recommend flossing daily, but this can become harder when you get braces. Not only do you need to fit the floss between each tooth, but you also need to thread it under the wires of your new braces with a floss threader or special kind of floss. Many people neglect flossing when they have braces because it’s so hard to get used to, especially for kids and teens!
This is where floss picks for braces can come in handy. Floss picks are designed differently than regular floss. They are essentially small plastic sticks with a C-shape at one end that holds a pre-cut strand of floss stretched between the two points. Floss picks for braces are specifically designed in the correct size and shape for the C-shaped part of the pick to fit under the wire of your braces as the floss itself slides easily between each tooth, so there’s no need for threading!
Talk with Your Orthodontist
If you think that floss picks would be helpful, ask your orthodontist about them! They may have samples available to give you or your orthodontist will be happy to recommend which type of floss pick or floss will best help you keep your smile in top shape while also making flossing less challenging.
Call our Roswell, Artesia or Ruidoso dental offices, to make an appointment with a dentist who may be able to help you find out more about this topic, and improve your oral health.